- “We say we want kids to read more, yet we also harbor a deep suspicion of the too-bookish kid.” Die-hard book lovers will surely be able to relate to this Literary Hub post that asks, can your best friends be books?
- With books like Milk and Honey floating around and making a splash, some have said that there’s a minor poetry boom going on in the book world. But is poetry the new adult colouring book? Friends, I have some doubts.
- It’s that time of year again. Dust off your short story skills and get to writing—the CBC Short Story Prize is officially open for submissions.
- If you’re sick of lacklustre bestsellers and tired of all those buzzed about books that everyone is raving over, it’s time for something a little different. Try some of these great books that you’ve (probably) never heard of, as recommended by some talented writers.
- And finally, it’s official! The 16th volume in our Essential Poets series—The Essential John Reibetanz—is now in print. You can read about the book—and get an exclusive excerpt—on the PQL blog. (You can get your copy today through our website, or through your favourite indie bookseller.)
Thanks for checking out this week’s roundup. If you ever have a great bookish link you think we should share, don’t hesitate to get in touch with me at email@example.com.