- “Read widely.” Common and fairly banal advice given by authors to fledgling writers everywhere. But is it the best answer? Quill friend Jason Guriel puts forth a case against reading everything in this fascinating article in The Walrus.
- “I love [Michael] Harris’ expressive prose and lyricism in this collection…. I found myself repeating phrases out loud because they were such vivid expressions that I could relate to.” Kind words about The Gamekeeper over at The Library of Pacific Tranquility.
- Is this the best opening paragraph of all time? A close reading from Shirley Jackson’s We Have Always Lived in the Castle.
- Which book made you a feminist? Margaret Atwood, Mary Beard and other literary ladies weigh in.
- And finally, the world needs more Canada! Check out some of the best Canadian fiction of 2017, as chosen by CBC Books.
Thanks so much for stopping by the PQ Weekly Roundup! Don’t forget to grab your freebie in this week’s PQ Holiday Giveaway, and most of all, enjoy the season with family friends, and as always, a good book.