- Many of us in the book biz believe that social media must have some effects on the publishing industry, but it can be tough to determine exactly what those effects might be. For example, this article in The Guardian seeks to find a link between Instagram and trends in book cover design.
- What would English sound like if the rules of pronunciation were consistent? This video does a brilliant job of showing us the foibles of the vowel sounds in the English language.
- Are you excited for all the great Fall 2019 releases coming your way? Of course you are! CBC Books put together a list of their top picks to check out, from fiction to poetry to non-fiction.
- We’ve had a crop of great book reviews this week from Foreword Reviews. One of the top reviews was for Daddy Hall, a “potent visual storytelling project” in which “contrasts of black and white are a perfect visual metaphor for artificial social divisions between people of different skin colors.” Check out the full review—it’ll convince you to buy the book.
- And finally, the Rowers Reading Series is kicking off their 12th season at the Glad Day Bookshop on Tuesday, September 4th. PQL author Barbara Sibbald (The Museum of Possibilities) will be reading as part of the event alongside Puneet Dutt and Andrea Thompson. Don’t miss it!
Howdy to all of you PQL friends out there! Can you believe it’s the last day of August? The summer season might not officially be over, but it sure does feel like it’s coming to an end. Pumpkin spice latte anyone?
Have a great long weekend,