- Do you know what it really means to be a writer? Here’s what people don’t get about writing as a job.
- This one is for anyone who’s ever wondered what it’s like to run a bookshop in a quaint little European town. Check out this article in the New York Times about a critic who tries his hand running a bookstore in the village of Wigtown, Scotland.
- In the news: The Vancouver Chamber Choir is devoting a program to composer and PQL author R. Murray Schafer, who is celebrating his 85th birthday on July 18. Happy Birthday!
- It is hard to write clearly. Like, really, really hard. Francine Prose on the difficulty of what to say and how to say it.
- And finally, don’t forget to read our July newsletter, in which we talk about the awe-inspiring powers of writers, and also keep you in the loop about events and such going on this month.
The heat continues. Do yourself a favour. Stay inside and read. (Unless you’re in Hamilton, in which case come visit us at The Spice Factory for Zineposium!)