- “The cover artwork and elegant period etchings of gondolas, bridges and architectural splendour enhance the text and help set the scene. However some of the issues touched on are also contemporary ones: rumours, red tape, scandal and power politics.” A nice take on Mark Frutkin’s The Rising Tide over at Apt613.
- So happy to see Lori Cayer’s marvellous poetry collection Mrs Romanov recognized by the League of Canadian Poets 2019 Book Awards longlists. The book is longlisted for the Pat Lowther Memorial Award and the Raymond Souster Award.
- For a little fun this Friday, test your vocabulary with Buzzfeed’s antonym quiz.
- Speaking of fun, I got entirely too much enjoyment out of this article about the killer rabbits drawn all over medieval manuscripts. Read about them over at Open Culture.
- And finally, glad to have you all check in with us in our latest newsletter, in which I blather about my abominable teenage poetry and also tell you about new releases and events and such. Catch up on the blog!
Looks like a fair amount of good news this week. Here’s hoping we keep that trend alive next time!
Have a great weekend,